As I was looking today for inspiration for my next blog post, I came across some honeycomb. I hadn’t seen it being sold many places and I immediately began to think of what I wanted to do with it. One of my absolute favourite things to do with honey is to mix it with equal parts butter, whip it up, and make this light, sweet & salty spread for any bread, cake, cornbread or dessert. I wanted to use this wildflower honeycomb this way and I decided that a good way to incorporate it would be to smother it on a warm skillet cornbread. A cornbread is a great vehicle for sweet and salty toppings, and it seemed like a perfect pairing to me.
I mean, how GOOD does this look????
This cornbread recipe is also gluten-free. It does have a slightly dry crumb to it which I don’t mind at all, and actually makes the honey butter a perfect pairing.
- This recipe doesn’t have to be made in a cast-iron skillet, you can use any loaf pan or cake dish, but I would recommend heating up the pan first.
- If you wanted to make this savory- You don’t need to serve it with honey butter. You can omit the honey and flavour the butter with some other herbs like chives, garlic or parsley.
- You can also add flavour by folding in some herbs/spices into the cornbread batter. For a great savory option I would suggest some diced jalapenos, and some cheddar cheese.
Let me know if you try this out, and of course comment down below if you have any questions or comments!
Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread & Whipped Honey Butter
- 1¼ cup of coarsely ground cornmeal
- ¾ cup of gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1⅓ cup of milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 deg Fahrenheit
- Place the cast iron skillet in the oven
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, gluten-free flour blend, sugar, salt and baking powder
- Whisk in the milk, eggs and butter until well combined, leaving 1 tablespoon of butter for the skillet
- Remove cast iron skillet from the oven (carefully! It’s hot!) and reduce oven temperature to 375 deg Fahrenheit
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of melted butter all around the top surface of the skillet
- Pour cornbread batter into the skillet, and place it in the center rack of the oven
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow cornbread to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with honey butter (see below) and a warm cup of tea!
For Honey Butter:
- Whip room temperature butter and honey together until it is a smooth consistency. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.