Flatbreads are great for summer, as they can be done on the bbq and are so quick and easy to put together! These flatbreads use store-bought Naan bread. Naan is rlatively cheap in the grocery store, and are sturdy enough to hold toppings which works perfectly well in this recipe!
Mushrooms and cheese on a grilled Naan bread with some thyme, butter and balsamic? Yes please.
This is great for an appetizer, you can quickly throw it together and it can be on the plate in minutes. The combination of mushrooms, butter, thyme and balsamic are beautifully balanced by the feta and Parmesan cheese you top it with. If you want to add some fresh arugula at the end before eating that would be a great addition. Even a little drizzle of honey would be delicious!
Depending on the size of your Naan bread, this recipe makes enough for two individual mushroom flatbreads. I hope you all enjoy!
Grilled Mushroom Flatbread
- 2 Naan slices
- 8oz cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tBsp butter
- 2 oz feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup parmesan shavings
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 TBS olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat and grease your bbq grates.
- In a large skillet, add butter to skillet and melt over medium heat. Then add mushrooms and onions and saute over medium/high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add thyme, balsamic, salt, and pepper, and saute for a few more minutes or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are cooked and soft. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Brush the tops of the Naan with the olive oil so the top is coated. Grill one side of the flatbreads.
- Flip the Naan breads over and add half of the mushrooms/onions to the top of each bread, spreading evenly over the top. Sprinkle 1 oz feta cheese crumbles to each naan.
- Cook with the lid down for 6 minutes, or until cheese is softed. *You do not want to overcook so watch carefully for browning on the bread.
- Finish with some shaved parmesan cheese. Cut into halves or fourths and serve warm.